Kindergarten Roundup

Today was a big day. Today was Kindergarten Roundup for Kylee. That’s right, my first little baby will be starting Kindergarten next year! It is all a little bittersweet for me because I know she is ready and so excited and I am excited to have her start but it’s sad that time has flown by so fast that it is already that time for her to go. It doesn’t seem like that long ago that Eric and I brought her home from the hospital and started our wonderful life of a family of three (and then 3 short months later – found out we were going to be a family of 4 :) )

So this week I decided maybe I needed to mention a few things that they might do/ask during Kindergarten Roundup to Kylee so she would be prepared. We had talked about a few things last week and then yesterday morning when I asked Kylee if she was excited for Kindergarten Roundup, she said, “Mom, I don’t think I’m ready” and I said, “oh no Kylee, you are ready – why do you think you aren’t ready?” and she said, “what if they ask me to do something I don’t know how to do?” So we had a talk about all the things she knows and that it is okay if she doesn’t know something because that is why she is going to go to school – to learn new things. Then she says, “Well Mom, I’m kind of shy around different people”. (It was hard for me to not laugh because this little girl is ANYTHING but shy! – she’s the first to introduce herself at the playground ex. On Sunday we went to the park and there were some 8 year olds playing and she went right up to them and said “Hi – my name is Kylee, I am 4 and this is my sister Natalee, she’s 3 – do you want to play on the slide?” she is just not shy in any way). So I asked her more why she thought she was shy and she said that she wouldn’t know the teachers – which I then explained that was one of the reasons we were going – so we could meet the teachers and see the school. She thought about it for a minute and then seemed fine and then added, “They might ask me to sing my ABC’s or count to 10 and I know how to do that”.

So, today was the big day and I hadn’t been nervous but after our little conversation yesterday about being “shy” and “not ready” – I suddenly started to become a little nervous that what if she really wasn’t ready?.... Well, she was and did great! We walked in and they had the kids go with some of the teachers to do the testing and parents to another room for a meeting and to fill out paperwork. When we were done with the parent meeting, we went back to the room to get her and she was having so much fun with other kids and the teachers. She apparently had asked one of the teacher lots of questions, “do I get to stay here?”, “will I get a cubby to put my stuff in?”, “who’s cubby’s are those?”, “will I come back tomorrow?”, etc… the teacher went on and on about how outgoing and sweet Kylee was. We even got an “extended tour” – there are eight classrooms and the kids got to see four of them so Kylee asked where the other four were and so we got to go tour the rest of the rooms and the teacher was so sweet and patient with Kylee and really made this be such a positive and special experience. She is very excited to start Kindergarten next year now and is more than ready!!!

It was a great day!

Comments

  1. Oh, this post made me smile just picturing Kylee claiming she's shy, knowing her real personality. She is such a sweet funny girl. And she'll do great. Those roundups are good to put both kiddo and parent a little bit at ease. But I still don't believe she'll be in KINDERGARTEN!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baby, Baby, Baby

It's Fun to Have a Sister!

Little Mommy